Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Progress on the Cambrian Models GWR Chaired Sleeper Wagons

This is the first workbench update for ages, work has been super hectic and I have been finding it hard to get to do any modelling but I have made some headway with the pair of sleeper wagons.

Last night I fitted the couplings, vac pipes and stanchions to the remaining wagon.

Pete Bevan Cambrian Models GWR Dia T13 Chaired Sleeper Wagon

All that remains before painting is the addition of the lead ballast. The floor of these well wagons runs close to the rail head but there is enough room to squeeze in a layer of lead ballast to enhance the running qualities of the wagons.

Pete Bevan Cambrian Models GWR Dia T13 Chaired Sleeper Wagon

As can be seen from the pic below the clearance isn't huge but just enough.

Pete Bevan Cambrian Models GWR Dia T13 Chaired Sleeper Wagon

This is what I'm currently using for ballast; a piece of battered lead from a gully on a roof that was being replaced, with this piece, I need to flatten it out with a lump hammer and when the time comes, cut into appropriate sized pieces with my tin snips. I normally attach it to the wagons with double sided foam tape, the type that is used to attach plastic trunking to walls. The layer of foam in between the layers of adhesive allow the adhesive to hold even with any unevenness in the lead, it is hard to get it dead flat and this is where the foam helps. On these wagons however, because of the lack of clearances between the floor of the wagon and rail head, I have just super glued the lead in place. If it ever works loose, I will try again with a glue which dries with a bit more flexibility. 

Pete Bevan Lead Ballast Weight


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...